Hanging with some monkeys at the Dalai Lama's Temple.
I am so far behind in this blog it's slightly ridiculous. We've been doing a lot, I've been having a blast and have so much to tell, but half the computers I use don't let my upload pictures, or something goes wrong, and so updating the blog is a hassle most of the time. Thus why I don't do it. But here I am and here I go! (This is my second attempt at this post...fingers are crossed)
Today's topic is Armitsar. We left on the 13th, a Thursday, and were there until Sunday. Overall, I wasn't much impressed with the actual city, but then again we didn't go much into it so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. The Golden Temple (of the Sikhs) is beautiful and it was really an amazing experience. I didn't get as much out of it as I could have, I know; after spending all this time in Mcleod it was sensory overload being back in an actual Indian city with all the noise, people, sights, sounds, everything zooming and rushing and organized chaos on top of being so tired from travel. But I'm glad I went anyway and got the little out of it I did.
The streets leading to the Golden Temple have these streamers strung the whole length. I really liked the fluttering noise they made in the wind, when I could hear it over the hustle and bustle of the city. It also made it pretty easy to find our way so we could walk. You have to have your head covered, and can't wear shoes, inside the temple grounds, so we got to walk around barefoot for a bit (yay!!) and bought these scarfs to tie around our heads, as demonstrated by Marc and Spencer above. We all thought we looked like Pirates. Yarg. You also have to wash your feet before entering the temple grounds, but all this involves is walking through a stream of water, nothing too intensive (also pictured above actually!).
The temple is covered in Gold. It's pretty mind-boggling. And it sits in the middle of this giant square pool. Men take dips in the water, there are special rooms for women to go and preserve their modesty, and there are huge fish swimming around at LEAST as long as my forearm. Here's me, Spencer, and Melissa in front of the Temple.
The first day we went, there was a HUGE line waiting to go inside, so we listened to some guys singing and then went and got some food from the cafeteria as they serve free food (free GOOD food...yum. They serve about 30,000 people a day, I believe, all by volunteer efforts) After collecting our shoes and browsing through a market for a bit, where I was swarmed inexplicably by a group of about 10 girls all trying to talk to me but not knowing much more english than "Hi, how are you? I'm fine. Where are you from?", we went to a memorial down the street where a lot of Sikhs were martyred. It was quiet there, the quietest place we went to in Armitsar, a nice calm. Here we were also approached by people wanting to talk to us and get their pictures taken with us, shake our hands, know our names and where we're from. We weren't there for long, though, as we needed to be making our way to the Border Ceremony!
Memorial statue at the park.
Armitsar is right on the border of India and Pakistan, and every night they have a big ceremony. I heard it called different things, Changing the Guards, Closing the Border, Lowering the Flag, and it was all these things and SO much more. Though don't ask me what because I was completely overwhelmed and underwhelmed all at once. It was a bit of a hassle to get in; we had to go through security and get frisked. Then we, as foreigners, were herded from place to place, asked for our passports, harried and worried that we were missing something big, but we finally made it in and were able to sit down. There was loud music blaring from somewhere and a large group of kids in matching tracksuits dancing in the middle of the street. This went on for quite some time. And I think I understood it better than the actual ceremony; that involved a lot of fancy marching, yelling, and not knowing quite where to look. Pakistan on one side, India on the other, all having a huge party and showing their pride in their respective countries. And Indians are fiercely proud of their country. For the most part at least, yeah?
We went back to the Golden Temple on Saturday and were able to go inside. It was beautiful; marble and gold and delicate carvings everywhere. Intricate blue, red, green painted patterns on the roof and walls. Thick rugs laid out and people sitting everywhere reading their scriptures. We went up on the roof and looked around before heading out to the museum and then another free meal of deliciousness and then we were out. Our next stop? A movie theater. Because how can you come to India and NOT watch a Bollywood in the theater?
We found a driver to take us to a theater for 20 rupees, I think that's how much we got him down to at least. We paid him and walked up to the ticket booth to see the sign saying "Closed for maintenance" then turned in disbelief as our driver drove away slowly grinning from ear to ear, while another rickshaw with a matching smile waited patiently for us. We were in no mood for another ride though, so decided to wander and found another theater open just down the block showing one movie: Fashion.
Supposedly it was a Bollywood, but without any dancing (unless you count them dancing at raves). It was in Hindi, but sprinkled with enough English words that we were able to piece together what was going on. For the most part at least. Let's just say the plot wasn't all that sublte. Nor all that deep. Here is my spoiler alert as I know someone out there is just dying to see this movie: It's about an innocent girl making her way in the world of Modeling and rising to the top, being corrupted by the power and alcohol, the loss of her love driving her to drugs, her fall to the bottom, her loss of self-confidence and then amazingly finding it all again through the help of family and friends to reclaim her throne in the modeling world and fulfill her dream of modeling in Paris. 3 hours in a nutshell. And with that, spoiler done. It was entertaining though, Indians love their drama and I couldn't help but think of all the times I watched America's Next Top Model with my roommates. And thus frequently found myself thinking "Tsk, Tyra would tear that girl apart for reason X" or "Where is roommate x when you need them??" Plus, it was fun filling in the Hindi with my own plot twists and unabashed drama. (Rachel, if you're reading this, I even used the phrase "Angel of my life" and "maladies of the midnight air") And, in true Indian style, the power went out. It came back on after a few minutes, and then we had an Intermission about...10 or 20 minutes later? It didn't seem much longer after that at least, but I may have just been so caught up in the movie that time may have just flown by! Who knows.
We posed in front of the poster out front, much to the amusement of many an Indian I'm sure, though the only picture I have of the event with me is one of Spencer, and his eyes are closed.
Overall, Armitsar was a good time. Seeing amazing things, spending time with each other again, and indulging in 5 rupee soft-serve ice cream at every opportunity. Yum. But all the same, I couldn't wait to be back in Mcleod Ganj. This is our last week here, we leave on Sunday for Bodh Gaya, and there are mixed emotions. I am sad to be leaving for the last time, but excited for the new adventures and opportunites that lie ahead of me. All in all, it's slightly difficult to focus on the assignments I've been neglecting and am trying to finish this week before the travel. Go figure. Most of it's not a big deal, I have until March afterall, but there are a few things I do need to finish before leaving, and if I know myself at all, I know once I'm home I still won't be all that inclined to do the work.
I hope you are all well, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving in case I'm not back to update before then!
No comments:
Post a Comment